Tuesday 5 June 2012

Do you mind if I take a photo of you?


I spent recently a long weekend in Leipzig, where the annual Wave Gotik Treffen meeting took place. The city was literally flooded with people worth looking at. And most were more than willing to pose for anybody with a camera. But I guess that was not quite what I was looking for. However, some recent reading about street photography pointing out that asking goes a long way, took me to a first (for me), asking a complete stranger if I could take a photo of her while she was reading. And the answer was yes!


But the initial photo I took was not particularly good. As David duChemin mentions in one of his books, you need a great foreground and a great background, and the latter was not really what I wanted for this series (a group of fairly loud punks which eventually started a fight, hardly what you would have as a connecting thought for serenity). So after reviewing the photos I hanged around a bit longer until I came up with the shot above. For the sake of completeness, the initial shot is shown below. The good news, I actually got another one for this series later on from somebody else.



No comments: